We Need YOU
The Birds of Vermont Museum seeks volunteers to help on a regular basis in Huntington, Vermont, especially at our front desk. All you need is an interest in birds, art, museums, or tourist services—or all of the above—and a willingness to volunteer at least 6 hours a month. Volunteer shifts can be 2-6 hours long.
A full volunteer roster makes it possible for visitors of all ages to have a great experience at the Museum, discovering birds, traditional arts, and modern citizen science. Volunteers mean the Museum can better create and improve indoor and outdoor programs and experiences, support its members, and coordinate new exhibits. Volunteers can work indoors or outdoors, directly with visitors or behind the scenes. Museum staff train volunteers as needed for their roles at the Museum. Volunteers often form friendships while learning new things about local wildlife. And it’s fun!
Various shifts are available for volunteers from May through October. Volunteers should be either 18 years of age and agree to a background check or 16 years of age with parental permission.
- Weed a butterfly garden
- Feed the birds
- Assist with bird or nature programs
- Keep one or more of the trails well-maintained
- Paint or repair signs
- Update a story trail
- Monitor and maintain the bird blind, tree house, or retreat
- Welcome visitors
- Sell admission and operate the gift shop
- Help visitors identify birds at the viewing window
- Enter bird sightings into eBird
- Work with school groups
- Help with bus tours
- Help with publicity, flyers, or member outreach
- Write articles for the newsletter or the blog
- Support carving classes or special programs
- Help staff at off-site exhibits or programs
- Cleaning or dusting exhibit spaces
Choose What Works for You
Even if you are here for a 2-hour shift, many volunteers stay the entire day. Volunteers may work in pairs if they prefer. Sometimes whole families, classes, or groups come and do a variety of jobs.
If you love birds, nature, working with groups of people, or wood carving, we have lots of volunteer opportunities for you. Contact us!