Effective Date: 1 May 2020
The Birds of Vermont Museum (“BOVM,” “the Museum”, “we,” “our,” or “us”) provides this privacy notice to describe how we collect and process the personal information of individuals who visit or interact with us on- and offline, such as through our website, www.birdsofvermont.org (“site” or “website”), email, letters, credit and debit card processing, visiting the Museum, guest registers, or telephonic communications. We collect information in order to offer events, notifications, and other opportunities with the Museum.
Personal information may include but is not limited to your name, address, phone number(s), social media information, and/or email(s). We may ask for demographic information such as age/age range, income range, and interests. If applying to volunteer or seeking an internship position with the Museum, we may seek additional information including your date of birth, employment information, financial information. We may also collect any other information you choose to provide. You may give us as much or as little of that as you like, although some information may be required to (for example) complete an event sign up or hiring process. An image of you may be collected during a visit to the Museum or an event.
We collect information through our site, payment processing technologies, third-party apps, audio/visual equipment at the Museum and during events, and offline. We collect this information when you create a profile on the site, apply for job opportunities, donate to BOVM (as a member or otherwise), complete online forms, sign up for events or surveys, or interact with us for any other purpose.
Protection of your information
- We use standard antiviral/antimalware programs on our computers
- We limit access to information and records to Museum staff or supervised volunteers
- We use secure online tools whenever possible
What we may do with your information:
- We may use it to send you communications by postal and/or electronic mail unless you ask us not to
- We may use it to fulfill member, sponsor, donor, and visitor benefits and communications
- We may acknowledge your contributions publicly (e.g., in newsletter, on signage) unless you ask us not to
- We may use it process purchases and other transactions
- We may use it in aggregate to collect information about our membership and our visitors
- We may keep it on file or in archives as paper, and/or digitally on local computers, and/or in cloud systems (“services” or “online tools”) such as (but not limited to) Gmail, Google Analytics, PayPal, Square, MailChimp, or Microsoft OneDrive, Which systems we use may vary as time and technology change.
- We may share it with third parties who are providing a service to us, such as (but not limited to) communications, banking, social media, and/or software providers.
- We may share it with third parties if required by the law.
- We may use your information to improve our communications, exhibits, and services.
What we don’t do:
- We don’t sell it, rent it, or trade it without your express permission except as noted above.
- We don’t give it out to anyone’s request (unless required to by law).
- Occasionally members and visitors wish to communicate with each other and ask us for information to do so. In such cases, we may contact you directly. (For example, if a fellow birder wants to get in touch with you, and asks us for your number, we’ll get their info and try to forward the request and their contact info to you so you may respond if you choose.)
- We can’t choose the data protection tools used by the services we use, but we make every effort to only use secure, encrypted online tools.
Minors and Parental Consent
The privacy and protection of minors is very important to us. We may at times collect information about minors during our normal activities. We may collect names, contact information, and/or photographs and videos. Therefore, in addition to the protections listed above:
- We do NOT knowingly collect minors’ information without parental consent
- We do NOT publish the last names of minors who contribute to our art show even if we have permission to show their artworks
- We do NOT publish images of minors where their face(s) are visible or recognizable without parental consent; if faces are identifiable, we do NOT include minors’ names.
However, we DO photograph and video our events and activities, including those with children, and use such images in our advertising and communications.
- You may request that your child or children not be recorded or photographed.
- If your child/children appear in an image we use, you may request that we remove or replace than image. We will do so if possible.
Questions and Contact Information
If you have questions or concerns about our policy, please write to us at:
Birds of Vermont Museum
900 Sherman Hollow Road
Huntington, VT 05462
Or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=privacy